St Etheldreda’s Church
Banbury OX15 6BJ
For a small village, set in North Oxfordshire, St Etheldreda’s Church is an imposing monument. Its origins date from the 12th century of which only the Tower and Chancel remain. The nave was rebuilt in the 13th century with further restorations in 15th or 16th centuries. The original ring of 4 bells dating from 1706 has been recently supplemented by a further 2 in 2013.
Of notable interest is a large wall painting of St. Christopher, mentioned by Simon Jenkins in his “1000 best churches”, which shows representation of fishing with rod and line and a conversation between the giant and the Christ-Child borne on his shoulder. It dates from mid to late 15th century.
There is a Chamber Organ (still in regular use) with a carved wooden case and a decorated front. In this respect the church has a justified reputation with an excellent acoustic. The pews were all removed in the early 20th century, and have been more recently replaced by sturdy, comfortable chairs, all of which makes St. Etheldreda’s Church an excellent concert venue!
Church of St John the Baptist
Horton OX15 6QE
PLEASE NOTE – THE SATURDAY NOON-TIME CONCERT IS AT CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, HORNTON, AND NOT AT HORLEY
This little church has quite a bit to offer. Built probably in the 12th Century but added to more recently. The wall paintings are somewhat faded, but date from the late 14th Century. Above the Chancel arch a Last Judgement, with a central Crucifixion, Virgin and St John. A St George & Dragon and possibly a painting of the Black Prince with Prince of Wales’ feathers. More recently there have been the addition of a kitchen and lavatory.
Coffee will be available at ‘The Dun Cow’ pub included in the ticket price of £12 from 11am